Why did I get an email appearing to be from Sparklight with one of these subjects: "This is very important", "Your email has been flagged", or "Your Sparklight account shall be suspended"?
NOTE: Sparklight will NEVER ask for account information via email.
Some Sparklight customers may occasionally receive emails that appear to be from Sparklight, but are not. These emails are known as "phishing" emails, which are messages disguised as authentic emails designed to collect confidential account information from Sparklight customers.
Here are five simple ways to spot a phishing email:
- The email asks you to confirm personal information. Sparklight, or any other reputable company, will never ask you to confirm confidential information via email.
- The website and email address of the sender look suspicious. The sender of the email appears to be suspect, and may even come from or point to a completely different company than Sparklight, where it will not show a Sparklight address anywhere.
- The email is poorly written. You may also notice some very serious grammatical or spelling errors throughout the email. This, paired with requests for personal information or to click on a link, are telltale signs that the message is not legitimate.
- There may be a suspicious attachment. The attachment could contain a malicious URL or Trojan virus, leading to the installation of a virus or malware on your device and/or network. Even if you think an attachment is genuine, it’s good practice to always scan it first using antivirus software.
- The message is designed to make you panic. It is common for phishing emails to instill panic in the recipient. The email may claim that your account may have been compromised and will be shut down or terminated unless you verify the login credentials.
What should I do if I receive a phishing email?
There are a few actions you can take if you suspect you’ve received a phishing email:
- Delete it. It may seem obvious to say, but if you receive one of these emails, delete the email from your inbox AND empty your deleted items folder to ensure the email is completely erased.
- Mark it as Spam. On a suspected phishing email, simply right-click on the email and choose ‘Mark as Spam’. Once it is marked as Spam, it will be automatically moved to the safe ‘Spam’ folder. Contents of the Spam folder will periodically be deleted, so you won’t have to worry about those emails once you mark them as spam.
- Report the email to Sparklight: If the email appears to come from Sparklight, forward the original email to email@example.com so our Information Security team can investigate. If there is any doubt/concern about an email from Sparklight that may not be legitimate, please contact the Technical Care Center.
Examples of Phishing Emails
Below are a few examples of phishing emails you may see:
- Example #1
Dear Sparklight Customer,
It is strongly recommended that you update your Sparklight account now. There are series of issues about misuse and theft of our customers Sparklight account information's. We have update our security server for the year 2016 to enhance your online security and protect our customers from online fraud.
CLICK HERE to update your Sparklight account
We Are Here For You.
Thanks for your anticipated co-operation, Sparklight Technical Support Team.
- Example #2
Dear Sparklight.net User,
The below information's is from Sparklight.net maintenance. We write to let you know the reason for all this massages below kindly read it carefully and obey all the giving instructions. Due to so much congestion in all Sparklight.net account users we need to upgrade to new version of a standard resource to avoid congestion's spam and viruses. Because it is disturbing our database so much.
Kindly reply fill in the columns below and send it back to us for fast upgrading of our database.
Note that if you did not update to our 2016 new version. In a couple of days from today your mail account will develop a problem that will result your Sparklight.net account to stop receiving massages. But you can send.
To avoid the technical error from your Sparklight.net account. Kindly send us the below information's. Confirm your e-mail identity below and send it back to us for fast upgrading.
First Name: Last Name: E-mail Address: E-mail Pass-word: Confirm Email Pass-word:
Kind Regards, Sparklight.net™ Account Services. Copyright 2015, Sparklight™ Inc All Rights Reserved.
- Example #3
Dear Sparklight.net User,
This message is from web-mail messaging center, your Sparklight.net web-email account needs to be updated to the new 2016 version, due to overloading and spamming in the internet, we have decided to upgrade our services to serve our consumers a better service. We are removing access to all our mail clients.
Your email account will be upgraded to a new enhanced web mail user interface provided by Sparklight. Effective from the moment this email has been received from Sparklight.net webmail provider, we will discontinue the user from our web-mail services who refuse to update the following information below from our mail Lite interfaces.
Notification Code: CbaC0xZq16 To ensure your e-mail address book is saved in our database. Please click on this <LINK DELETED> and fill in the information below to help us upgrade your mail server.
Thank You for using Sparklight. Customer Service Center Sparklight Help Desk 2020.
- Example #4
Dear Sparklight User,
Due to the congestion in all Sparklight.net users you need to update your account with our released F-Secure Internet Security 2021 new version of a standard resource to avoid spams and viruses. If you have not upgraded your account, reply and fill in the columns below to send it back to us for fast update of our database account instantly.
Lack of update will process your Sparklight.net mail account being temporarily blocked or prevented from our network and may not be able to receive or send e-mail due to the update.
You are officially inform to send us the below information via email below.
CONFIRM YOUR E-MAIL IDENTITY BELOW: First Name: Last Name: E-mail Address: E-mail Pass-W0RD: Confirm Email Pass-W0RD: Service Address: Click on reply and send us the above details. Warning Code: Sparklight.B2AMOLW:
Kind Regards, Sparklight.net Account Services. © 2021 Sparklight.net Communications Corporation. All rights reserved.