How to Connect a New Modem (Sparklight-leased) – Video
If you’re leasing a Sparklight modem, check out this quick video on how to install your new modem: Self-Installation - Connect Your Modem.
If you purchased your own modem, please follow the instructions below to install your new modem.
How to Connect a New Modem (Customer-owned) – Read Below
Setting up your new modem is quick and easy! Before you begin, you’ll want to ensure you’ve selected a supported modem.
TIP: For the best locations to place your new modem, please see this help article HERE.
- Make sure you have all the necessary equipment to establish a connection:
- A modem (supported modems can be found here)
- A coaxial cable
- An ethernet cable (unless connecting through wireless)
- Modem power adapter with power cord
Ensure all devices are powered off.
- Connect the coaxial cable to the active cable outlet. You may need to try multiple outlets if you are connecting a modem for the first time and are not sure which of your outlets are active.
- Connect the other end of the coaxial cable to the modem.
- Plug the power adapter cord into an electrical outlet. The modem will reboot and attempt to connect to the Sparklight high-speed internet service, which can take 3 to 5 minutes.
- Once the modem’s ‘Online,’ ‘Cable,’ or ‘Status’ light is solid (this process usually takes 5-20 minutes), please call the Sparklight Technical Care Center to register the modem to the account at 877-692-2253.
Note: Please have your MAC address ready when calling in; we’ll need it to register the modem. You can typically find the MAC address on the bottom of the modem, either on or near a barcode sticker. If you have difficulty finding it, Sparklight Technical Support can assist you in finding your modem’s MAC address.
If the new modem is connected and does not blink past its Downstream (DS) light after 30 minutes, please contact Technical Support at 877-692-2253 for additional troubleshooting.
If you have a wireless modem, you should now be able to connect devices wirelessly. Check out How Do I Connect to My WiFi? to watch a video on how to connect your devices to your network. If you have a wired modem and need to install a router, please follow your router manufacturers’ instructions to set up your WiFi before following the instructions on the video.
If connecting a device directly to the modem with an ethernet cord, complete the following steps:
- Connect one end of the ethernet cord to the ethernet port on the back of the modem.
- Connect the other end of the ethernet cord to the ethernet port on your computer or device.
- Ensure there is power to your computer or device.
- You should now be able to turn on your computer or device and connect it to your network.
If you experience any issues while completing your new modem installation, please do not hesitate to contact our Technical Support Team available 24/7 at 877-692-2253.