WATCH: How to Connect a New Modem
Learn how to connect your new cable modem by watching this short video HERE.
How to Connect a New Modem Instructions
Setting up your new modem is quick and easy! Before you begin, you’ll want to be sure you’ve selected a supported modem. Please follow the steps below.
TIP: For the best locations to place your new modem, please see this help article HERE.
- Make sure you have all the necessary equipment to establish a connection:
- A cable modem (supported modems can be found here)
- A coaxial cable
- An ethernet cable (unless connecting through wireless)
- Modem power adapter with power cord
Ensure all devices are powered off.
- Connect the coaxial cable to your cable outlet.
- Connect the other end of the coaxial cable to the modem.
- Plug one end of the ethernet cable into the ethernet port (or network adapter) on your computer or device.
- Connect the other end of the ethernet cable to the ethernet port on the back of the modem.
- Insert the power adapter cord into the power port on the back of the modem.
- Plug the power adapter cord into an electrical outlet. The modem boots and attempts to connect to the Sparklight high-speed internet service, which can take 3 to 5 minutes.
Note: If the new modem is purchased, connected, and does not blink past its Downstream (DS) light after 30 minutes, please contact Technical Support at 877-692-2253.
Once the modem's ‘Online’, ‘Cable’, or ‘Status’ light is solid, please call the Sparklight Technical Care Center to register the modem to the account. Technical Support is available 24/7 at 877-692-2253.
Note: To register the modem, we will need the MAC address from the modem. If you have difficulty finding it, Sparklight Technical Support can assist you in finding your modem’s MAC address.
- Turn on your computer or device.